Monday, October 29, 2012












The third batch of rules. Again, some of these are new for me - Like resolutions, I've got some new goals. #25 is big, and in a couple of very specific instances, I already feel the impact of gossip-removal. Try it for yourself. (And then try again when you inevitably fall of the wagon.)



21. CREATE AN ENVIRONMENT FOCUSED ON SUCCESS. Be it at work, home, or in your artistic endeavours, always play to the strengths of those around you. Remind yourself that supporting others won't diminish your own success. Create an environment where each person can be at their best.

22. IF YOU'RE VOTING FOR ROMNEY, go ahead and unfollow me, too.

23. NEVER WRITE AN ANONYMOUS COMMENT ON THE INTERNET. EVER.

24. BE PUNCTUAL. There's no excuse for lateness. It means you didn't want to stop doing whatever it was you were doing when you knew you should stop doing it in order to leave the house on time. Selfish + Rude.

25. NO MORE GOSSIP. It rarely serves to do more than make you feel better or more-accomplished than the ones you're slagging. Comparison is death. If somebody is shitty enough to talk shit about, they're probably toxic, so just stop thinking about them altogether or ask yourself why they affect you so deeply.

26. Wine Rules: IF YOU WOULDN'T DRINK IT, DON'T COOK WITH IT.

27. "FOR ALL INTENTS AND PURPOSES".  Learn it.

28. ELIMINATE SARCASM FROM YOUR CLOSEST RELATIONSHIPS. Iyanla Vanzant says: "Don't drag around your baggage and your ugliness and call it 'personality'". So stuff like sarcasm isn't really funny and isn't "just part of who you are". It's almost always steeped in anger, self-loathing, defensiveness or deflection. (Removing sarcasm from my relationship with Jeff has been the best thing we've ever done. Seriously.)

29. ADVANCED POLITENESS: If you crack into a pack of gum upon descent in an airplane, share a piece with the stranger next to you. Why not? It's courteous.

30. Know how to make ONE REALLY GREAT MEAL. 



Success: Expedited Delivery. Illustration by Sandi Falconer.




30 RULES
Part I
Part II


9 comments:

  1. You are my absolute favourite.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All of these rules make me think about what my own are/should be. And who doesn't love an Iyanla reference? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely #28... While my husband and I have always been a little sarcastic, I noticed lately it's become toxic to our relationship and something that needs to be dialed back. I never realized how often it actually is "steeped in anger, self-loathing, defensiveness or deflection" like you said and not really funny...

    ReplyDelete
  4. So good. AGAIN.
    & loving #22, although I'm a Canadian living in Vegas and can't vote.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am trying my best to be punctual (although the traffic in Amman is a bitch) but have never thought about it the way you put it.
    A great list, once over!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so late on this but wanted to say that I love this series.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know I'm late to the comment-game here, but my mother says that "sarcasm is the lowest form of wit."

    ReplyDelete
  8. AHHH! hahaha, wonderful.

    "I mean, for all intensive purposes..." Riiiiiight. You probably say "supposively" too.

    ReplyDelete