Sunday, October 28, 2012












As the weather heads toward cooler days, so do my drinking habits. When I'm in Toronto I start to lean away from margaritas and bright, cucumber-laden gin and mix in more seasonally-appropriate drinks like red wine and Old Fashioneds. 

Maker's Mark is a good choice where bourbon is concerned. With a smooth sweetness, it's perfect for cocktails. (If I'm drinking it on the rocks, I go for Woodford Reserve.)

DRINK IT RIGHT

There are as many Old Fashioned variations as there are bourbons on the market. Sugar options, soda vs. still, cherries and other garnishes - But I know how I like it.

The Old Fashioned

In an Old Fashioned glass (typically a squat tumbler or rocks glass; often cut crystal or somehow fancy) place a sugar cube. Hit it with 3 or 4 dashes of bitters. Allow the cube to absorb for a second before crushing it down with a muddler. Toss your sliver of orange rind on top and muddle some more, squeezing out the oils. Add 3 ounces of bourbon and a splash of still water. Drop in a fancy ice ball (Check these out! The more surface area, the longer your ice will last. And they're a great conversation starter.) Stir and garnish with a sour cherry. (I soak mine in cognac for a while first.)

The Mint Julep

3oz. bourbon
2 tablespoons mint syrup
Garnish with a mint leaf

Mint Syrup
1 cup water
1 cup sugar
Several sprigs of mint.

Boil sugar and water for 5 minutes. Pour over the mint in a bowl, gently crushing the mint with the back of a spoon. Chill, covered, for 8 to 10 hours. Strain, discarding the mint.

Juleps need crushed ice! Fill a glass or julep cup. Add syrup and bourbon and stir gently. Garnish with a sprig of mint.



(Image from the internet.)



BUILDING A LIQUOR CABINET
Tequila: The Classic Margarita
Gin: Tara O'Brady's Plum Ginger Gimlet





2 comments:

  1. I am now craving an old fashioned! I visited Makers Mark and Woodsford this summer and both places were amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every few minutes Firefox tries to open a site. Because I just got a Trojan off my computer. So the link to the virus does not work anymore but Firefox keeps trying to open it. It says it cannot display this webpage. So how do I stop this?.

    opalcourt-leeds.co.uk |

    pikimal |

    http://www.projectix.co.uk |

    reseau-mpp-idf |

    www.sebrschools.org |

    smallcapstockpicks.co.uk |

    stoneygatecollege |

    http://www.tateblog.co.uk |

    unbearable.biz |

    http://www.unisprachkurse.org |

    ReplyDelete