Saturday, February 4, 2012




Typically I can remember exactly where I was the first time I heard someone's music. Like in the opening minutes of Magnolia, when Aimee Mann's cover of "One" changed shit for me. Or when I heard Antony and the Johnsons in the Canadian film The Event

But I can't remember when I first heard Patrick Watson, the band named after its lead singer. I almost can't remember a time when I wasn't listening to them. 

A spooky, often cinematic mix of cabaret pop and simple folk-rock music, these guys are right up my alley. I've included their songs on many mixes in the past, so it might be familiar. Accordions and swirling sound effects, they're what Coldplay wishes they could be. 

So enjoy the Essential Patrick Watson. And I'm going to continue my theme of the Ultimate Canadian Man Music, with upcoming playlists from Gentleman Reg and Jim Guthrie. Stay tuned for that.

I knew a time I knew a place that felt a lot like you
I knew a boy I knew a man who looked a lot like you
Just like you
- Man Like You, Wooden Arms (2009)


(Photo by Ariana Gillrie.)


PLAYLIST
The Essential Patrick Watson

  1. To Build a Home
  2. Luscious Life
  3. Just Another Ordinary Day
  4. Weight of the World
  5. Man Like You
  6. Close to Paradise
  7. Big Bird in a Small Cage
  8. Hommage
  9. Tracy's Waters
10. Into Giants


(The first track is from Watson's 2007 collaboration with The Cinematic Orchestra, a song he co-wrote. The final track is from their upcoming album, Adventures in Your Own Backyard, due in April. Can't come soon enough.)



ESSENTIALS:


2 comments:

  1. Although most people think that taking a picture is just as simple as pointing and shooting, there really is an art form to it. Typically, your photos never look quite as good as you imagined they would.
    probusiness-ag |

    dorchestersc4business |

    inspiredbusinessconference |

    businessmerch |

    thirsk-business |

    servissimbusiness |

    adamsbusinessconsulting |

    businessresultimprovement |

    businessdevelopmenttoronto |

    barriebusinessdevelopment |

    ReplyDelete
  2. When you hear about shopping for a car, you may think it simply involves handing the dealer your cash and getting your car. That’s not all that is involved! In this article, you’ll find a ton of useful, practical advice to help you find your next new or used vehicle.
    http://www.probusiness-cis.com |

    ReplyDelete