Monday, February 7, 2011







Toronto is in the midst of a miserable streak.  Snow and grey skies and filth.  One of the perks of living downtown is that we avoid most of the shitty weather the rest of the province deals with.  Not so, lately.  It's been deeply cold and straight-up ugly.  

When I was a kid, one of my Mom's go-to meals was classic spaghetti, suburban-style.  A jar of store-bought sauce, white pasta, and a hearty sprinkling of parmesan cheese, from the green shaker.  A few slices of buttered Wonder Bread, and dinner was served.  There was nothing quite like it - perfect on the coldest winter Sunday.  

My version is only slightly more difficult than the jarred kind: Sautéed onions and garlic, a few cartons of strained tomatoes, some fresh oregano and basil, a dash of sugar, salt and pepper.  Let it ride for a while, tasting often.  Snag some meatballs from the grocery store or your favourite butcher and sear.  Add them to the sauce and let it simmer for an hour or more.  

And then eat way too much of it and slide into a carb coma, well-protected from the sleet and snow outside.






12 comments:

  1. Just found your blog a couple days ago through a blog of a blog and what a treat it is! Love the photos you take and this dish looks so comforting.

    I agree, this weather is not very pleasant. I'm tired of all the gray slush I get on my pants walking around here. The idea of hip-waders in downtown Toronto does not seem too absurd these days!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Spaghetti is one of my least favorite meals - that said, I would BATHE in that sauce. Meatballs and all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hated that green shaker shite.

    Spaghetti was my sister's favourite meal, therefore my least favourite. I'm over it though, this looks delish.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Two out of three people so far say spaghetti is a least favourite meal. Weirdos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i'm firmly with you. i adore well made spaghetti and meatballs. my boys do, too. if i'm lazy, there's an Italian deli nearby that does takeout. you'd die. so, so good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel like I've been in a carb coma for weeks! It's winter's way.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have always loved spagetti but go the easy tacky route - this may just be the push I needed to try to make it myself!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Um, spaghetti is the best meal ever. End of discussion.

    (Love sauce from a jar. Could eat it alone.)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nothing beats spaghetti and meatballs. Nothing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks and sounds perfect. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am in a constant carb coma during winter. Spaghetti are the easiest way to get there.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yum.

    I thought I hated Parmesan until I discovered it in less-powdery form.

    ReplyDelete