Thursday, January 13, 2011







I realize I've been missing-in-action for a few weeks.  Your comments and emails and questions about my whereabouts have been appreciated (and hilarious).  I've so wanted to put something down, to let you know I'm alive and well, but couldn't bring myself to do it.  A necessary break, I suppose.  Not to worry, everything's been just lovely, busy with the holidays and wonderful new friends and a bit of cross-provincial gallivanting.

But I'm here now, wanting to share a little something.  

I hadn't planned on returning with something as dull as a this, but my dearest Tara (of Seven Spoons) wrote about the simplest of things recently when she described the sweet mid-winter satisfaction of a fresh, crisp salad.  Tonight, in an effort to eat something reasonably healthy, we had just that.  And it felt just right.


Frisée and mixed greens, crispy shallots and toasted pumpkin seeds.  Herbed and roasted beets, radishes sliced paper-thin.  A light douse of a Meyer lemon mustard vinaigrette.  It was perfect on a blustery night: bitter greens with the sweetness of beets against the smokiness of the seeds.  Hearty.  


And while I'm here, I feel like I should give you a little bang for your buck.  Perhaps a few songs for your trouble and patience?  Some brand new and shiny, others old and perfectly aged.  Music has a way of meaning something different when you pull it out years later, familiar, yet through new eyes ears.  Please enjoy.  And I'll try to be around a little more often.

Songs for Blustery Nights

  1. I Follow Rivers - Lykke Li
  2. I Wrote the Book - Beth Ditto
  3. Drumming Song - Florence and the Machine
  4. Prescilla - Bat for Lashes
  5. Laughing with a Mouth Full of Blood - St. Vincent
  6. Vesuvius - Sufjan Stevens
  7. On Directing - Tegan & Sara
  8. Chasing Pirates (Remix) - Norah Jones
  9. Dust and Water - Antony & the Johnsons
10. Where is my Love - Cat Power


Note: To keep the songs in this order, select all the files in the folder and then drag them into a New Playist you've created in iTunes.

15 comments:

  1. if this is dull, then mine was dishwater, sir. gorgeous. we need to cook together. loving having you back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you're back & thanks, as always, for the illegal download!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome back!

    Your salad looks scrumptious! And your music is a treat just like it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. nice. 2011 is going to sound good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks MEAT-FREE to me. We can probably hang out afterall!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you are back - I thought maybe you were sipping cocktails in some exotic locale.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you are back! We hardly see eachother anymore. ;)
    Thanks for the music.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Welcome back :)

    I can't tell you how good that salad looks right about now. I've been living off restaurant food for 2 weeks (including some heavy southern food) and although delicious, my body is definitely craving some of THAT.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay, you're back! Thanks for the beautiful salad idea (why in January do I crave cheesy gratins instead?) and thanks for the music too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ah, thank god you're back. The salad looks delightful (minus the beets. beets are yucky) and the playlist looks great, as usual.

    ReplyDelete
  11. just now getting into beets after almost 33 years. may have to try this. glad you're back!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Welcome back. I'm loving the tracks. Ever since I saw a recipe for a pumpkin salad on Smitten Kitchen which involves toasting the seeds, I now always save them as a garnish for anything with pumpkin in it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Praise the Lorde ye are return'd!

    I can now give my ambien a rest.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I, I, I like my beets fast and my bass down low.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I remember missing you here. Blogs are weird like that. You think you KNOW people...

    ReplyDelete