Monday, December 6, 2010








While the first snow of the season begins to accumulate outside, my mind is elsewhere, flipping through photos from our trip.  

Our friend Karina was invited to sit on the jury at the Bahamas International Film Festival, so we squatted in  her hotel room at the Atlantis and enjoyed a quick 4-days in the sun.  We packed light, only carry-on; I didn't even bring my camera.  I used my iPhone, which, in bright tropical sunlight, takes a fairly decent photo.  But, really, there's nothing to see, only acre-upon-acre of amusement-park-style resort craziness.  It's like a Jurassic Park filmset down there.  And while fun for kids (or tipsy adults on the admittedly-great lazy river), the place is completely ridiculous.  It's a total circus of outrageous consumption, from Gucci stores to wheelchair-bound-slot-machine-addicted-chain-smoking-seniors.  

But, looking at the flat, grey skies of Toronto today, I'd happily spend the rest of my life amongst over-priced drinks and fat, fat American tourists if it meant I could stare at the blues and greens of this place.








7 comments:

  1. Jesus, you could make a picture using a box of Crayolas and cigarette foil and your subject would still look great. "I went to Hades and there was really nothing to photograph...except for this guy in red and all of these flames." Pulitzer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i just shovelled the driveway ... in the dark. good thing you're so darn loveable, or i'd kind of hate you for this right now. off i go for some boozy hot chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ps. jeff is dreamy. just saying.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why do they have to be fat, fat (twice) AND American? Damn.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LoLos.. I love you.

    Tara Right!?

    Tommy - Sorry. It's just a fact. Accents: they exist. We hear them. American, 99 times out of 100.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I kind of love Atlantis.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My parents took me there every year for about 20 years. We were going there before it was Atlantis, it was called Merv Griffin's Paradise Island. Which is now the Coral towers. I must say that I have a fondness for that place because of the memories I have there. It seems that when ever we go back we will make sure that we are in the old towers, or the Villas which were also part of the original hotel. It was weird to watch it change over the years. I cannot believe how huge it is now. Glad you had fun... And now I am one of "those" people that leave dumb comments about things that have happened in my life that you don't even care about. Geeze.

    ReplyDelete