Friday, November 12, 2010









So, it's my birthday.  Today I begin the final leg of my 20s. Twenty-nine.  I've said it before, but I'm anxious to get on with it already. Smash-cut to my mid-30s and see what's the what.

This little guy is me, 20-odd years ago.  Grade two.  I wore powder blue turtlenecks with matching dress pants, rocked a pair of navy suspenders and, sometimes, a tweed fedora.

I was (at this juncture) a sweet kid, quiet and pretty shy. Seven year olds have a way remaining pure, really just oversized toddlers who fly under the radar. In my experience, the real trouble starts in Grade 4 when you mix with the general population on the school yard.  Or when you start walking to school by yourself, no longer accompanied by a big sister or a babysitter. Suddenly you're vulnerable and less-coddled, a little more alone and likely to bear the brunt of reality. And, with that, your character starts to build, your defenses begin to appear, and you face the world a little differently.  Cynicism will work its way in, the softness I see in this photo will erode a bit, becoming something more wary.

But, for another year or two, I'd be this tiny little guy, no more than 40 or 50 pounds of wide-eyed optimism. The kid who'd spring out of bed at 6am to entertain his groggy Mom while she stirred her coffee. The kid who'd fall asleep in weird places (under his bed, on a makeshift cot he'd assembled in the closet, wedged between the wall and the couch) and whose career aspirations included being a Dickie Dee Man.

I wonder if he knew what was to come?  I wonder if I'd warn him of the tricky bits or let it all happen exactly the same way all over again.

23 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday!!!

    The Dirty Thirties are the best (second only to being 7), only one more year to go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy bday!!!

    I'm pushing 30 in a few years and am terrified. There's no stopping it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. happy happy birthday jason! i, for one, also can't wait to hit my 30s - i think it'll be my decade :) hopefully!

    (& i can't help but smile at the image of a 7 year old you in a powder blue turtlenecks, matching dress pants, navy suspenders and a tweed fedora. awesome.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday dear blog friend. I'm so glad we've *found* each other.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy birthday! I turned 28 a couple of weeks ago and had very similar thoughts. Sometimes it's uncanny how alike we are. (My accessory of choice at this age was red socks--every day, without question.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. aww. this is a beautiful post. you can't warm em of the tricky bits, they won't believe you! or they'll be scared. also what is a dickie dee man?
    but more importantly, happy birthday!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Molly!
    A dude who sells ice cream out of a freezer attached to a bicycle! Know what I mean??

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooh ... happy birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Birthday. Here's to the twilight years

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Birthday Jason! hope you had a fantastic day. to a prosperous year ahead. mmmmmmm ice cream...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Birthday, Jason! xoxo! (Tell your 7-year-old self that I adore him too.)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy birthday! I'd be tempted to warn my younger self of what's to come, but then it would probably spiral into a Butterfly Effect-type situation. Probably better to leave things as they are.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy Birthday Jason! Have a great weekend celebrating :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. oh Jason! Happy birthday ol' friend. You are so full of wisdom its like you've been in your thirties for years already. But here's to a wonderful final year as a twenty-something! xo!

    ReplyDelete
  15. omigoodness, reading that, i adore you even more. didn't think it was possible. i hope when my guys reach 7, they're half as darling as you were.

    hope your day was spectacular.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy Birthday!! Enjoy your final year of your 20's.

    ReplyDelete
  17. So this is late.

    But I do very much hope you had a wonderfully happy birthday.

    Also, I wanted to say thank you for sharing so much music as of late. I've needed it. Perfect timing, that.

    ReplyDelete
  18. happy birthday homie. hope it was a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Jason, found your blog via designwali's---Lovely space you have here. I would have kept on reading your archives silently, but this post really touched a chord...as the mom of a little boy, I can so feel what you're trying to say here and I can see some of that innocence still lives on --(a really belated) happy birthday to you.

    ReplyDelete
  20. SO SWEET. Gah! "tricky bits" I love that...

    ReplyDelete