Wednesday, November 10, 2010








If you've been reading my blog for any time at all, you know I'm big into potatoes.  The comfort provided by a swath of mashed potatoes is unparalleled, their creamy butteriness a dream beneath a piece of beef or pork.  

Well, I may have found a truly passable alternative: cauliflower mash.




Cut the florets from the stem (turn that sucker upside and core it) and toss them into a large pot.  Throw in a half-stick of butter and, on medium heat, braise for 25 minutes, stirring often, coating in the butter.  When tender, mash heartily (I used an immersion blender) with 1/2 cup of cream.  Season with salt and pepper.  

(I tend to try something once, fairly simply, and then adapt on my second attempt.  I think next time I'll add some fresh ginger, perhaps a bit of curry or chiles.)

This mash satisfies the need for something bulky on the plate, its texture potato-ish, but grainier and lighter.  I served with a rack roast of pork (cooked in a can of Strongbow and a slurry of apples, ginger, garlic and shallots) and some crispy green beans.  The apple gravy that materialized was lovely alongside the mash.  

It felt like a real November meal.


A note on the wine: Cline's 2007 Syrah is one of those great shape-shifting reds.  A terrific match for pork or lighter mains, but good for heavy meats too.  Fruity, like I like.  A ridiculous value at $13.35.


9 comments:

  1. I have to try this! I love cauliflower!
    And thanks for the wine recommendation. I always get so confused at the LCBO.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, the dinner was amazing and the mash...a revelation!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wha-what? love cauliflower. have had it creamed for thanksgiving since i was a wee tot made by grandma. this is a must try for this year's din.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have you tried celeriac? Another awesome mashable either by itself or mixed in with potato...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mashed potatoes are my ultimate comfort food... in fact, I love anything mushy that requires little to no chewing. I'm intrigued.

    p.s. your living room looks so cozy. I think a solution to "dark at 5:30 lighting" is b&w photos - these look great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks delicious. I often eat mashed-with-a-fork cauliflowers topped with bolognese sauce. It's a decent pasta substitute.

    ReplyDelete
  7. when i was in belgium my friends mashed cabbage and potatoes together. I normally hate cabbage but the taste was mind-blowing especially with the gravy they served it with!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks and sounds delicious. Ah, to live with meat eaters again. Sigh :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. See, I can't look at your food photos. You don't even want to know about the tacos I made tonight. Is iceberg lettuce is a food group?

    ReplyDelete