Saturday, September 4, 2010






Tonight Natasha and I had a date at my house.  We're usually a pretty distinct foursome, rarely splitting off or subdividing the herd, so when Nick and Jeff took an evening road trip to visit a friend, we took the opportunity to cook together.  It was kind of special.  

She hit the market and brought over all the fixings for Skillet Rib-Eye Steaks (from Martha Stewart's Dinner at Home), Broiled Peppers with Asiago, and Steamed Broccoli with Garlic.  It was perfect for this decidedly autumnal day: rustic and hearty.  The meat, seared and cooked-off on the stovetop, was served with a charred-rosemary and red wine sauce (amazing) and sliced in strips; it was perfectly fatty and just the slightest bit chewy.  In a good way.  The peppers, twice-broiled (the second time with a nutty asiago stuffed into them) came out almost meaty, thick and dense under a knife.  The broccoli was a great counter, fresh, crisp, and coated in garlic-infused oil.   

After dinner we curled up in my bed to watch a movie (the documentary Babies - adorable!) with ice cream, cookies and coffee.  A perfect night.














9 comments:

  1. Best night ever. Forget doing dinner the four of us, we should do our own thang every week. Kick the husbands to the curb to fend for themselves. They'll probably end up ordering Chinese food again. Love you sweetie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aside from the obvious, I love that you also appreciate the power of italics.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you are the world's BEST best friend. Lucky Natasha!
    Wonderful photos, I may copy that exact dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks like the perfect night in, nesting and eating and staring at cute babies! I love your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really want to see Babies. Didn't realize it was out on DVD until I read your post. So, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh such a fun night! Cooking a yummy meal, good wine, laughs, and cuddling in bed with your BFF. Your post makes me miss mine who lives faw away!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Everyone should have a best friendship like you and Natasha. I know I do. Very special.

    ReplyDelete