Thursday, September 2, 2010








Nick and Natasha came over for another Thursday night dinner.  Jersey Shore and potato-crusted black cod.  

That's right.  Potato-crusted.

This following will serve four.  Get just-shy of two pounds of black cod, such as the wild Alaskan variety below.  Have the fishmonger skin, bone, and portion the fillets.  Rinse and pat dry.  Season with salt and pepper.

Buy two or three large Russet potatoes.  Scrub them and then, using a mandolin, slice them paper-thin, length-wise.  Melt a stick of butter and soak the sheets of potato.  Carefully wrap the potato around the fillets and secure.  (Theoretically - and according to several online recipes I mashed together - the potato should enrobe the fish entirely and shouldn't require cotton twine to keep it in-place.  Mine didn't, so I strapped it on.  No biggie.  I actually like the rustic quality - It's real and indicative of the circumstances: me in the kitchen struggling to keep it all together, hoping it would work out, but not realllly knowing. Lately the danger in cooking has become increasingly enticing, spurring me on to try a yet-tougher recipe.)  

Set your oven to 395°F.  Heat olive oil in an oven-safe pan.  Place the potato-covered fillets into the oil and sear until golden brown.  Flip for a moment or two and then slide into the oven for eight minutes until cooked-through.  Oh! Lay a few sprigs of rosemary on top of the fish and drop a few tablespoons of butter into the pan to keep the fish super-moist.  I never promised this meal was macrobiotic.

Pull the fish from the pan (carefully, it is extremely delicate) and allow to rest under foil for just a couple of minutes.  Pour the buttery remains in the pan through a sieve and then coat each serving in the glistening butter sauce.  I served with green beans.  I think next time I'll find a place for bacon.  Imagine?  Bacon.









(Satisfying on every level.  Moist, dense fish, starchy potatoes, butter, and seasonal green beans.  Ugh!  Heaven.)


5 comments:

  1. As soon as I find a place to buy fresh cod in Montreal I will try this and report back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You, my friend, make potatoes so sexy. Every single time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow that sounds amazing - I am going to try this dish for sure. Well minus the green beans.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What can I say. Yummy as usual! Hmm...we have string beans in our fridge right now...

    ReplyDelete