Friday, August 6, 2010












Forgive my absence, we've been at the cottage for the better part of a week, with a couple more days to go.  It's been heavenly; the weather's been exceptional: warm, sunny and lake-friendly; we've been eating nice meals and playing Yahtzee! like it's our job.

Today things took a strange turn: 18°C and breezy!  On days like this, the nearby towns become overrun with sweater-clad-cottagers, a popular time to buzz into the grocery store or poke around the adorable shops.  Jeff and I were in desperate need of limes and butter tarts, so off we went.  Of course, it's nearly impossible to get what you came for, and soon we had our Jeep Cherokee full of all sorts of things, including adorable little cucumbers, perfect for pickling.  

A few weeks ago I saw a recipe at the House and Home website for quick pickles - I bookmarked the shit out of it, knowing I'd never in a million years make actual pickles.  Just like my delish Strawberry Freezer Jam, I'm a low-maintenance canner, so (spankin'-new food editor at the magazine) Amy Rosen's pickles were right up my alley.  

I hate dill pickles, but Jeff loves 'em.  So he's got 8 jars to eat within a week, before they become rotten poison.  







Amy Rosen's Quick Pickles

3 medium-sized fresh pickling cucumbers
1 cup white vinegar
1 cup water
1.5 teaspoons Kosher salt
Half a cup of white sugar
2 tablespoons of fresh chopped dill

Slice your cucumbers length-wise into spears.
In a sauce pan, bring to a boil the vinegar, water, salt and sugar.  Pour the mixture over your cucumbers and toss in that fresh dill.  Allow it to cool on the counter for an hour-or-so.  (The cucumbers will go from that fresh green colour to a more pickly tone.  And your kitchen will stink.)

PS: As I sit here, it's dark out and has dropped to an unseasonable 12°C.  That is madness.  





15 comments:

  1. First of all, I'm envious of the deliciously moderate temperature which you seem to be enjoying. It seem to be perpetually 1,000 Degrees (470 Celsius) in Washington, DC.
    Secondly, I LOVE dill pickles!!! Jeff is obviously a man of good taste. Not only has he married well, but he enjoys a healthy dill pickle, too (no pun intended).
    Thirdly (Third of all?), You, Marty Stewart (a masculine play on Martha Stewart), are tremendously talented. Your blog, witty and sophisticated, is paralleled only by your stunning talent for photography. The two paired together is, well, just aesthetically orgasmic.

    s.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Scott!
    I've had some blog-related worry about you. Where the shit have you been?

    As always, you're a charm a minute.
    Many thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, after hearing all about you and your blog over the past year from our mutual friend, I've finally arrived...and I must say it was worth the wait!

    Your writing is eloquent, your photography stunning and your food stuff mouthwatering (though I too am not a fan of the pickle - ahem; just reading the recipe alone makes my mouth pucker). Very impressive!

    I believe I shall be back for seconds (and thirds, and fourths, etc.).

    Adam

    ReplyDelete
  4. Who, who Adam is our mutual friend??
    (Thanks for reading! Please enjoy!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Let's just say he's tall and blond, has a penchant for things cultural (of the popular variety), but has trouble with whistling and shoelaces.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Adam!
    I can't believe it took you so long.
    Jayjays...great post. I've missed you and your blog over the past week.
    I love me a pickle.
    p.s. your freezer jam is just as i remember it from my childhood...so delish

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, I'm not a pickle fan, but butter tarts sound delightful...as do less hellacious temperatures. Will you make homemade popsicles next?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with all the nice things other people said in above comments. That is all.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Did you put the pickles in the fridge for keeping? I just bought cucumbers this weekend at the Farmers Market (as the stinkin deer ate all of the cucumbers in my garden) so want to try an easy pickle version myself.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks, all!
    Melissa - Fridge! Yes! A must! They, like the freezer jam, are NOT properly or officially "preserved" so will rot like any other vegetable (though all that salt and vinegar buys you a week or two.)

    Eat 'em fast.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks! Going to give this a try over the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I adore you and your boyfriend and your fabulous blog! I am sitting using up a tiny little bit of my precious internet time at my cottage in the 1000 Islands region of the St. Lawrence River, from which we look across the border to your fine country during the day, to check in on what you have been up to at your cottage. Love the pickles post; loved the cheese and crackwhores post; can't wait to see what you do next!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love these deconstructed shots! great way to shoot a cookbook.....wait..is that an idea I hear?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just like my Polish grandmother used to make. Seriously.

    ReplyDelete