Monday, August 9, 2010








After our trip to Cuba in 2005, we've had a thing for mojitos.  Over the years I've perfected the recipe.  Whether using white rum, or our new preference, dark-and-aged, the mojito is a perfect midday drink, in the same category as Caesars or white wine spritzers: justifiable.

Mull a few tablespoons of lime juice, some small chunks of lime, several torn mint leaves and some turbinado sugar in a glass. (Advanced users: Whip up some simple syrup - equal parts sugar and water, bring to a boil and allow to cool - I usually do this when mojitos are the main event, but this was just a one-off for Jeff.)

Add ice, a good lot of rum, and top-up with soda.

Now, that wasn't very specific, was it?  But, you see, mojitos are an alcoholic-art form: You must find your perfect collaboration of sweet, tart, and boozy.  Take your time, there's lots of August left to be had.  




(Note: I find mojitos are best-served with straws, otherwise you wish for a sheet of baleen through which to strain the mint out of your mouth.  An unpleasant side affect to an otherwise perfect beverage.)



16 comments:

  1. I could use one of those!

    Question for you: do you do all this photography yourself?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummmm! I would like one of those at noon today - they look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A: I can't believe you went to cuba! I desperately want to go.
    B: Mojitos are my favorite drink, I'm about to make a pilgrimage north!
    C: Mint stuck in midde of teeth is anti-sexy and a tragedy that's befallen me a LITTLE to often.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A) Sorry, Americano, no Cuba for you. (Sucker, it's the most amazing place.)
    B) Let me know when you get here.
    C) It's happened to the best of us. If there's an upside, at least it's mint so works to freshen breath while humiliating you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. PS: Dispatches from Cuba near the bottom of this section.

    ReplyDelete
  6. you blog is so gorgeous! subscribing now:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Chelsea! So glad. Yours is also a treat! Welcome. And please feel free to ask me anything.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh how I love a good mojito...and that looks very good! Cheers Jason!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These photos look super amazing on the new iPhone!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Doin great, thx! Ever do any work as a photographer? Always looking for new fresh styles :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. email me ur contact info and we can discuss :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for the instructive post! Will try out this recipe once my sinus infection heals and I can start to drink again.

    ReplyDelete