Tuesday, April 13, 2010

On Evening Light, Sandwiches and Narcissism


A while back I wrote about that milky midwinter daylight we see rarely in January.  Now that the clocks have sprung forward, there's a new kind of light to enjoy: dusk.  Until recently the sun would fall well-below the horizon while we were still stuck behind our desks, so this is a welcome annual shift.  With buds on the trees and sun until nearly 8PM, it's definitely Spring.  I love looking down on the street below, green popping-up all over, that feverish feeling rising up inside you.






There's really something about making dinner in the light of day.  Especially when it's last night's re-imagined beef tenderloin: Sliced onto crusty bread, coated with ginger-shallot mash and grainy mustard, ice-cold lettuce.  I don't think I've ever mentioned it, but sandwiches are, hands-down, my favourite food.  Satisfying on every level, I could eat them all day long.




The wine: Typically we don't drink Canadian wine.  Because the vineyards are small and the local industry is in its infancy, it tends to be overpriced. If I'm gonna spend $15 or $20 on a bottle of wine, I'll get something from a proper, established winery.  That said, it seems that the prices are coming down, making them competitive and worth a shot.  Open's 2009 Riesling-Gewürztraminer caught my attention with its simple label.  I was hesitant, as I've never met a Gewürztraminer I've liked: so flamboyant and hard to spell! But for $11.95, I was excited to support the locals.  And I'm pleasantly surprised!  Open has a bright, summery wine here, the Riesling cutting some of the brassy-sass of its partner and leaving enough of the bite to remind you it ain't a Pinot Grigio.

Caution: Drinking wine aids in the egomaniacal process of taking one's own photo as if being featured in a magazine.  Is this my rock-bottom?  


6 comments:

  1. I love that mirror and the globes and the ottoman and...

    :) Maybe more like a mountain summit than rock bottom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LMAO at your last comment! but seriously your photographs are AMAZING and i love when you talk wine! i have so much to learn about wine and thanks to your suggestions i've compiled a nice little (affordable) list of wines (& pairing) to try out :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh kiddo, you and the place look as dashing as possible!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love your house. will you adopt me so that i can live there?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I JUST bought that very same bottle this weekend after suffering a week's worth of horrid wine while on a Jamaican vacation. You're looking very daper as always. Miss you!!

    Stef

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your love of sandwiches.

    ReplyDelete