Monday, November 2, 2009

Who Are You?


I'm a lot of things. I've had this blog for nearly two years, and some are clear: I'm sarcastic, into decorating, I like to bake, I like music and television, and I love babies. But there are things people don't know, I suppose. My blood type, my address, what I do for a living.

I went to photography school. Artsy, I suppose, but commercial. Product, fashion, interiors, portraiture. When I graduated, I had the same high hopes as the other 40 people who finished with me: We were gonna be photographers.


(A dog named Moose who snuck into my test shot, 2001)

I made the big move to Toronto and prepared to . . . . I don't know. Open my own studio? Work freelance for all kinds of amazing fashion magazines? I did do stuff. I shot a few weddings (awful) and dozens of headshots (ugh, actors!) but I soon realized that I didn't feel passionately enough to put in the work required to be a photographer: Self promotion, pavement pounding, bridal conventions, dog portraits: Blah.


(My beloved great-grandma, 2002)


(A beautiful girl whose head I shot, 2005)

So, like most of my former classmates I worked in retail and at Starbucks, in box offices around town, and soon I got my first real job at a big time talent agency. I answered the phones and made copies and survived the abuse of three miserable agents who epitomized everything we know about their kind. After 18 months I left to take a job opening a brand new performing arts centre (mostly classical theatre) and thus began my actual career path.

After spending three-and-a-half years there, I left in May to open another. I'm the House Manager of an 1100-seat concert hall. I take care of the staff and the patrons who attend our performances. I hired 75 Ushers and we opened our doors in September. So far so good. The hours suit me (I'm a nighthawk who likes to sleep-in) and I love to host a party. I get paid to host a party!

(It should be said, I don't really consider my work as the defining characteristic of who I am. I consider work an interruption of my real life, for the most part, so it's important that I sincerely love it.)

Perhaps one day I'll photograph the building (because it's beautiful), but for now I'll maintain a bit of mystery/non-stalker-rape.

8 comments:

  1. I suspected as much! Nobody gets such consistently incredible shots on luck. PS — I made your root chips on Halloween: sublime!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm!
    They are so good!

    (And thanks. "Consistently incredible". Big words. I like them.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I didn't really expect an answer when I asked the question. Thanks for sharing. You certainly are a dark horse, Jason. It goes without saying, but I will, that you are intensely creative with an exceptional adeptness to blogging. You're a virtuoso of writing and photography. Out of all of the blogs that I try to follow, of which there are many, yours and A Bloomsbury Life are leaps and bounds more witty, entertaining, and addictive than any others. (In my opinion.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Scott: Always generous with your compliments. Thank you.

    Where all my hits at, if I'm so amazing? Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had no idea. This is all so great, and I thank you for sharing.

    I agree with Scott and Jory. Your blog is always a joy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your blog is amazing. You are a large part of why I blog today (and have continued to blog). Thank you for your professional encouragement.

    Excellent post. It all makes sense.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your story is honest and insightful. I enjoy your blog a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  8. "I don't really consider my work as the defining characteristic of who I am. I consider work an interruption of my real life."

    Thank you for that. Just, thank you.

    ReplyDelete