Friday, November 13, 2009



Yesterday I turned another year older. But somehow 28 doesn't fit.

I've always felt older than I am, have always run with an older crowd (read: Moms, teachers, my sister and her friends) and have been described as an "old soul" more times than I can count. And maybe that's why I sort of can't wait to be 43. Not that I'm wishing my life away, but I just think that's when I'll be at my best: my 40's are really gonna be my decade.

So, for now I'll wait. I'll chip away at my flaws, analysing and refining, to figure out what it's all about. And I'll celebrate the parts of myself that simply are. There's a point when you can't deny those deep-seated quirks, those parts of your character that might be a blight, but actually add up to part of your charm. And if that's getting older, bring it.

My beautiful dreamboat took me and our dearest friends for a fantastic meal at Caren's Wine and Cheese Bar. And while the service left much to be desired, the food more than made up for it. Cheese fondue and steak and syrupy, apple-tinged red cabbage. Mixed grills and lambchops and Caren's famous macaroni and cheese. Crab cakes, stilton-stuffed burgers and the best apple pie my friend T.J. has ever tasted.

And two small words that changed the world: au gratin.






15 comments:

  1. Love love love the pictures - I want to keep that second one of you and Jeff forever and ever. Is that weird?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, Jason. Another darling dispatch from your personal journey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday, you fantastically gifted man!

    ReplyDelete
  4. welcome to 28. :)

    i really like that you said "you wish you were 43"...made me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy belated birthday, Jason! It looks like you had a great time, and you're (somewhat) at peace with your not-so-advanced age. It's a good combination.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday Jason!

    What lens did you have on that night, I love the effect on the images? Looks a bit like a lensbaby lens?

    Ross

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks all!

    Ross: Canon 5D with a 50mm f1.4
    Zero depth of field. Pretty fun.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy birthday, birthday almost-twin. I love cheese. And you. And that picture of TJ - cuters!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeah, T.J.'s whole face smiles.

    ReplyDelete
  10. i have never had an au gratin that i didn't like. thanks for posting this, i'm definitely going to give it a try before i leave toronto.

    ReplyDelete
  11. happy belated birthday! i know exactly how you feel about your 40s...that's how i feel about my 30's - kinda can't wait for it. though most women dread it i'm counting down the days until i hit the big 3-0. that'll be my decade.

    love your pics as usual!

    also super envious of your 5D. its what i kinda wish i had but now isn't sold anywhere. my nikon will have to do...unless i do a mark II but the price - yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kay: The 5D ain't mine. My friend Christian's. I've been borrowing. Obsessively. I love that camera.

    I'm still using an ancient 10D. ANCIENT. The Commodore 64 of digital cameras. But she's been good to me.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy belated birthday! Geeze, looks like you've been eating some amazing meals lately!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have a love hate relationship with birthdays and age. This post was sweet...the text and the pictures.

    ReplyDelete