Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Tabling an Issue


When I started this blog, it was with a specific (yet broad) intention.  Pretty things, good design, the stuff my eyes happen to land on.  My first entry took a look at my living room and all the things I hoped to change about it.  I've done well; the CDs are packed away, I've accumulated some lovely new chairs, the terrible white rug is gone.  But there's more work to be done.

This past weekend Jeff and I hit up a bunch of second-hand stores in the bowels of South Western Ontario.  I find there are more interesting things in places where the demographic skews slightly . . . stylistically retarded.  People seem to give up the good stuff, and, in-turn, no one else wants it either.  So, there it sits for Jeff and I to stumble upon.  

We have a few items in-mind whenever scouring the shops: a new coffee table, a couch, and a rug.  On Saturday we found a great little coffee table to replace the miserable IKEA number I've had for several years.  The quality is a bit questionable - in fact, it comes complete with that faux bois laminate.  I know what you're thinking, but bear with me.  It has great lines, it's a great colour (adding much-needed contrast to our living room), it's in great shape, and it was $6.29.  

Here's what I say: If you hate what you've got, replace it with something, anything, better.  It's not forever, it's just for now.  As time goes on we can allocate more money to frivolous things like coffee tables.  And there's so much to be said for the hunt.  For months and years to come I will love looking at this little table, remembering the breezy August afternoon we poked around a dingy, small-town Salvation Army store, the concerned look on Jeff's face when he told me to "settle down", my excitement bubbling at the sight of it, the giddy-gay-levels all too much for the locals.  You just can't buy those memories at Barbara Barry.



8 comments:

  1. You should see me at 50% off day at Goodwill! Oh, the joy and excitement of discounted goods!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's noice, unursual, yeah diffrent...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thomas of Washington DCAugust 25, 2008 at 1:25 PM

    i love this little table. perfect choice and a great price!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thomas of Washington DCAugust 25, 2008 at 4:32 PM

    and I love your place!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the table, love the curtains and LOVE EVERYTHING! Such style you have... - and also love the paint on your walls... would you be kind enough to share what the color is??? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Vanessa!
    Thanks so much!

    I have no idea what colour it is - We rent. It was slathered haphazardly on the walls when we moved in. It's very beige, though. Perhaps it photographs better than it is.

    Although, as far as beige goes, I don't hate it. It's yellow-hued, so that's a plus, because a pinky-beige would be just awful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG! That's the coffee table my design-obsessed heart has been searching for! Can you tell me anything about it? Is there a manufacturer stamp on the underside?

    You are a lucky, lucky man!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Cate!
    Unfortunately there are no markings at all.

    Terrible, I know!
    So sorry!

    ReplyDelete